I can create a new rails app w/ no problem and the app works.   I
can try to install any plugin in that newly created project but they
never exist in vendor/plugins.     I also notice there are some other
things wrong and I'm worried that something bigger is going on.   For
instance, when I try to install rvm this way:

bash < <( curl http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/releases/rvm-install-head )

I get this:

bash: line 31: git: command not found

ERROR: Cloning from git://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm.git failed, trying
via https now (https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm.git).
bash: line 35: git: command not found

ERROR: Cloning from https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm.git failed,
perhaps your git version does not support the https protocol?  out of
ideas... halting.

 Finally, I still think it's important to install plugins.