How do I use association data from within a fields_for?

I've got a has many through relationship between users, schools and
schools_users. A user can have multiple schools and a school has multiple
users. In schools_users there is a user_role field in addition to the common
user_id and school_id.

In the show view I have:

<% @school.schools_users.each do |user| %>
user.user_role %></td></tr>
<% end %>

but I can't figure out how to do the same thing from within the fields_for
on the edit page.

<%= f.fields_for :schools_users do |f| %>
<% end %>

Thanks for any help!