On Mar 8, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Stefano wrote:

Hi guys

I am working on a webpage for a company and one of the requirements is
that the entire webpage is capable of supporting multiple languages.

Now stop before you start writing because yes, I am aware of i18n, but
I am not entirely convinced that it would be the best thing to put the
content into one particular locale file... So the options are:

1) Store content in database has advantages that it would be easy to
modify existing pages using the CMS. Drawback is that every time the
page is loaded it has to query the database and fields like 'content'
or whatever could get potentially very large if there is a lot of text
on the page.

2) Content storage in locale files. Seems like the 'nicer' solution
because you can give these files to an external business to translate
or whatever but does have the disadvantage that it would be harder to
write a CMS for this. Also it seems a little strange to make pages
that have placeholder locales for the content? content_1: "foobar"
content_2: "foobar2" ? Just looks strange...

So I was a little surprised about the lack of good advice on the
internet. Surely this is done everywhere, all the time but I couldnt
find a book about it (yes, tried the obvious stuff, agile web
development, recipes, etc.) or any good webpage discussing the
problem.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your response
Stefano

Ryan Bates' ears must be burning right now. He just covered this in Monday's Railscast. http://railscasts.com

Walter