Hey guys,

So I'm building a Rails 3 app and one of the major things it needs to
do is let users upload photos into their own photo albums.  That part
in and of itself isn't a problem; where I'm a bit short on knowledge
is the proper way to *secure* that information.

Say we have 3 users: a, b, c.  A and B are friends, C doesn't know
either one of them.  A uploads photos into his/her album, which is
marked to be viewed by "friends only", so B can see those photos, but
not C.

However, what's to stop B from grabbing the URL to the photo of A and
then sending it to C over iChat or something?  C gets the image pulled
up without even so much as a login.

I might be going a bit overkill here, but with all the recent
discussion in the technology industry about individual privacy, I want
to make sure this problem gets solved RIGHT.  The only way I know to
do this off the top of my head is to set the image source as a Ruby
script itself, and have that script (or method in a controller) do the
checks, then if they're good, retrieve the image and then send the raw
image data down.  I've done that with PHP before, but truth be told, I
don't like it because it seems rather inefficient.

Is there a good way to do this, or is it generally acceptable that,
while my app won't show C any photos of A, those photos aren't
*actually* protected from a raw GET request, if somebody knew where to
look?

Thanks :-)