On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Phoenix Rising <polarisris...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> So I'm building a Rails 3 app and one of the major things it needs to
> do is let users upload photos into their own photo albums.  That part
> in and of itself isn't a problem; where I'm a bit short on knowledge
> is the proper way to *secure* that information.
>
> Say we have 3 users: a, b, c.  A and B are friends, C doesn't know
> either one of them.  A uploads photos into his/her album, which is
> marked to be viewed by "friends only", so B can see those photos, but
> not C.
>
> However, what's to stop B from grabbing the URL to the photo of A and
> then sending it to C over iChat or something?  C gets the image pulled
> up without even so much as a login.

Write a rails controller that handles sending images and has auth on it,
or a metal controller that sends the images and checks an expiration stamp,
associated with the url.

You may have better things to learn or do, before you solve this properly -
as Fred said - the file can get saved, sent or anything once it is out of
your system.

--
make haste slowly \
festina lente  \