On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Peter Bell <pe...@pbell.com> wrote:

> I saw a recent posting about Twitter moving some of their code from Rails to
> Java and it seemed to be germane to this conversation. It is a perfect
> example of the kinds of things you have to do for the tiny, tiny number of
> sites in the world that *really* need to scale:
> http://engineering.twitter.com/2011/04/twitter-search-is-now-3x-faster_1656.html
> I think what they did makes good sense for their vanishingly unique use
> case, and I think anyone building a new site from scratch would be nuts to
> try to build an architecture like that to knock out a site and see whether
> anyone was going to use it.
> Rails is a great framework for building *almost* every web app :)
> Rails is dead, long live Rails.

Indeed.

In that post, note that the performance improvement is not necessarily
a function of the language. My interpretation is that the major impact
comes from switching to a new async architecture which has been in
addition designed *a posteriori*, when you know where it hurts, and you
have the numbers, and you have a concrete technology ecosystem in
your company to evolve.

You would not design Twitter 2011 in 2008.