The development log file simply stops tailing...

the last output lines are always something like:

Started GET "/javascripts/products.js" for 89.100.131.129 at
2011-04-18 15:23:49 +0100
  Processing by JavascriptsController#products as JS

with no output after it.

In the windows event viewer at the exact time of the crash is the
following information:

Faulting application name: ruby.exe, version: 1.9.2.180, time stamp:
0x4d5ee5ed
Faulting module name: msvcrt-ruby191.dll, version: 1.9.2.180, time
stamp: 0x4d5ee5ec
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0011a00e
Faulting process id: 0x15e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbff46fbcfd114
Faulting application path: C:\Ruby192\bin\ruby.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Ruby192\bin\msvcrt-ruby191.dll
Report Id: 9c20f6fb-6b4e-11e0-b27b-904ce5fafcb7

thanks