On Apr 21, 5:08 am, cipher_neo <l33...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a lot of issues at the start with the mysql install, and had to
> try out a lot of different versions of the libmysql.dll file.

That is the first mistake.

Try out anything under the sun is a potential root of segfaults.

Binaries are very "picky" about which DLL is used against them. MySQL
is a bitch in that sense, their own DLL do weird things between
versions.

> I think I tried at least 4 different versions of the file, and finally
> got one that allowed me to start the app.
>
> Do you think that this could be the cause of my app crashing? If so,
> how do I find out exactly what version of libmysql.dll I should be
> using?

If you installed mysql 2.8.1, the libmysql.dll is the one I indicated
in the blog (which was linked from the Ruby redmine bug report. Did
you actually read it?

> Again, I have tried other versions of this file already, but all the
> other versions were very unstable and resulted in a lot of errors when
> starting the app.

32bits needs 32bits libmysql.dll, If your system is 64bits, is highly
likely you have a 64bits MySQL which is not compatible.

Honestly I'm getting tired to shed some light on this type of issues
over and over and over again, so added a entry to the RubyInstaller
troubleshooting guide:

https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Troubleshooting#gems_mix_bits

If you still have issues, please remove any libmysql.dll from your
Ruby installation or path and then follow the steps there.

I'm not blaming you, is the lack of information or concise guide to
direct newcomers. The info is out there, the problem is that is cannot
be easily found.

--
Luis Lavena