comopasta Gr wrote in post #999960:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in trouble with encoding again.
> I have a text area. Where I can enter sentences. And when a sentence
> that contains multiple lines is typed I get this into the DB:
>
> (json serialized)
>
> --- "{\"text\":[\"line one\\r\\nline two\"]}"
>
> Ok. When I take it from the db I see it like this in the controller:
> {"line one\r\nline two"=>"text"}
> (I have done something in between to change the order but that's
> irrelevant)
> But you can see the \r\n in it.
>
> The thing is that in the view I need to pass it via javascript to a
> function that re-creates the text area dynamically.
>
> But the function gives the error: "Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected
> token ILLEGAL"

Well now I think I fixed this. Nothing to do with json. More with common
sense. Mine.

In the controller I just added again the double \

@value = det.last[i].gsub!(/\n/, '\\n')
@value = det.last[i].gsub!(/\r/, '\\r')

Then @value can be used in the view and the line breaks stay in place.
No JS error and no need to do any CGI::escape to keep them anymore. And
no problems with accents since I don't use CGI::escape anymore.

Cheers.