I don't believe you're going to find a magic formula for what you're
suggesting. The same thing could be said about last or first names as
you are suggesting could happen with SSNs. What if somebody misspells
Smith for Smit, for example? But worse yet, what if it is not a
misspelling situation and the Smit is actually Smit? The same is true
for SSNs, switching the last 2 digits does not mean it was a
"misspell", it could just be that 2 different people have the same
name and very similar SSNs. You have to draw a line somewhere, I
think.

You could use auto-complete fields and then provide options based on
records found using the 'LIKE' option in the where clause using the
information currently being entered. That might help but I think
you'll find it's not worth the effort.