Whenever I have worked on similar projects in ended up being the
customer's idea of what a "close approximation" was that made a
possible duplicate. It was usually something like:
  same birth date
  same last name
  same city (optional)
  same state (optional)

Since there is not such a thing as a tried and true method for what a
duplicate record is I believe you'll just need to do some manual work.
My advise would be to ask your customer/boss for what the rules are.