Hi --

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, "Florian Aßmann" <florian.assm...@email.de
> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> >I've got some ESI variables in a template, and am trying to assign
> >their values to Ruby variables. Strangely, it seems to work and not
> >work at the same time.
>
> Why mixing them anyway?

We need to correct/normalize the cities that have spaces removed, like
NEWYORK.

> > <esi:vars>
> > <% state = "$(GEO{'region_code'})" %>
> > <% city = "$(GEO{'city'})" %>
> >
> > State: <%= state %><br/> # CT
> > City: <%= city %><br/> # NEWHAVEN
> <% # becomes: %>
> State: $(GEO{'region_code'})
> City: $(GEO{'city'})
> <% # so the ESI processor replaces them after ERB %>

But they display CT and NEWHAVEN, which suggests that they've already been
ESI-processed.

> > Massaged city: <%= CITIES[state][city] %> # Uses the literal EIS strings
> <% # becomes: %>
> Massaged city: <%= CITIES["$(GEO{'region_code'})"]["$(GEO{'city'})"]
>                    # => "KEYING LITERAL ESI STRINGS" %>
> <% # so the ESI processor replaces ... nothing. %>

I'm still mystified as to why/how the same variables can behave in both ways
(literal strings and interpolated strings).

> > </esi:vars>
>
> >So, strange as it sounds, the variables seem to be differently bound
> >depending on which line is being evaluated. So far I've not been able
> >to puzzle through the sequence of events in such a way as to come up
> >with a way to inject the state and city values into a call to the
> >CITIES hash. I'd be interested in any ideas or solutions people might
> >have.
>
> You can:

[ideas snipped]

As I mentioned in my last response we're going to do it in JavaScript, but
I'll have a look at your ideas which will probably increase my ESI
understanding.

David

--
  The                   Ruby training with Black/Brown/McAnally
  Compleat              Stay tuned for next event!