Hi --

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Jens Wille <jens.wi...@uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> David Black [2011-07-20 21:08]:
> > What's odd is that both behaviors seem to happen: the Ruby
> > variables being bound to the literal GEO strings, and the Ruby
> > variables being bound to the ESI interpolations of those strings.
> no, it's not. the ruby variables are replaced with the string values
> you initialized them with - in *both* places. the ESI processing
> kicks in *after* that (it operates on what the application sends as
> HTML response; just like SSI in principle). so there's nothing
> unusual going on at all. it's just that both processors (ruby/erb
> and ESI) operate in the opposite order than you seem to have assumed

What I'm not seeing is why this:

  CITIES[state][city]

doesn't undergo the same evaluation/interpolation as this:

  <%= state %>

Whatever happens, I would expect "state" to end up representing the same
thing every time, instead of representing the string "CT" at one point and
the string "$(GEO{'region_code'})" at another point. Why doesn't the EIS
processing ensure that we get CITIES["CT"]["NEWHAVEN"]?

> but now that you found a different solution this is all moot, of
> course ;)

True :-) except I hate letting things slip away without fully understanding
them.

David

  The                   Ruby training with Black/Brown/McAnally
  Compleat              Stay tuned for next event!
  Rubyist               http://www.compleatrubyist.com