At the top of your app/assets/stylesheets/application.css file you should
see something like this.
/*
 * This is a manifest file that'll automatically include all the stylesheets
available in this directory
 * and any sub-directories. You're free to add application-wide styles to
this file and they'll appear at
 * the top of the compiled file, but it's generally better to create a new
file per style scope.
 *= require_self
 *= require_tree .
 */

The two comments at the bottom tell Sprockets to build a compiled asset file
using first the contents of this file and then the contents of every other
file in this directory.  If the import order matters to you, you'll need to
replace the require_tree directive with individual requests to require each
file in the order you need.  Ex:
/*
 * This is a manifest file that'll automatically include all the stylesheets
available in this directory
 * and any sub-directories. You're free to add application-wide styles to
this file and they'll appear at
 * the top of the compiled file, but it's generally better to create a new
file per style scope.
 *= require_self
 *= require reset
 *= require layout