Couldn't disagree more. RVM actually makes like a lot easier for
beginners IMO. The install is simple and easy (just run the script)
and works perfectly fine on pretty much any version of Ubuntu.

Using RVM allows beginners to tinker with various versions of Ruby in
a non-traumatic way and keeps each project in its own gemset to avoid
version conflicts and issues with dependencies. Once installed
correctly, with wrappers in place, it works identical to native ruby
only you don't have to "sudo" so much.

It's a great place to both start and finish as a ruby developer. I run
RVM locally and in production and I advise all the newbies I help out
to do the same. Particularly on an OS X dev environment, native ruby
is a pain and RVM alleviates most of those pain points.