On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM, cval eval <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Well, analysis has shown that database should be refactored, because
> it's pretty unstructured, some data is duplicated or unnecessary etc.
> Some tables are used by another modules(not RoR).

So... I am guessing you wont touch these, or do you have a manner (i.e.
test suite) which will allow  you to make such changes and know if you
broke something?

> What is the best way (i mean easiest)) ) to redesign database?
> Should I use migrations?
> Or just write database in plain SQL and then generate objects from SQL
> tables?
> Or modify existing models manually?

Same goes as above, first, is the project working? Is there a test suite?
Do you trust the test coverage? If you have no test coverage and have a
working project you are taking on a lot of risk to start changing the db
structure around.