On 14 November 2011 20:36, cval eval <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> David K. wrote in post #1031856:
>> So... I am guessing you wont touch these, or do you have a manner (i.e.
>> test suite) which will allow  you to make such changes and know if you
>> broke something?
> Perhaps, I will not))
>> Same goes as above, first, is the project working? Is there a test
>> suite?
>> Do you trust the test coverage? If you have no test coverage and have a
>> working project you are taking on a lot of risk to start changing the db
>> structure around.
> Project works, but there are plenty bugs. Some of them are caused by
> poor db design.
> Unfortunately, there are no tests. ))

In that case write the tests first, including ones that demonstrate
the known bugs.  Then you will be able to sleep soundly as you make
the changes secure in the knowledge that you should not be introducing
too many new bugs :)

Perhaps I could have phrased that better, I am not advising that you
sleep *whilst* making the changes.

> I'm definitely using git.

Excellent.

Colin