On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:16:41PM -0700, Patrick Walton wrote:
> * Rust builds itself three times for bootstrapping. This is
> unavoidable as long as Rust is bootstrapped.

GCC also builds itself three times for bootstrapping; like rustc, it's
written in the language that it compiles.  GCC can be built without
bootstrapping for development (or to use as a cross-compiler), but a
successful bootstrap is required as part of testing.

So I don't know that it's entirely fair to criticize Rust for this aspect
of the compilation time.  (It would be nice to have --disable-bootstrap,
though.)

--Jed