On 12-12-20 11:17 AM, Niko Matsakis wrote:
> This makes sense.  What I really meant was: Let's not try to do this
> checking during the type check itself, as we initially did, but rather
> as a later lint step.  This also allows you to disable it if you know
> what you're doing and for some reason the code is cleaner as you wrote it.

Agreed. It's fine for a lint pass outside the type checker, I just want
the semantics clearly defined in terms of a class of constant expressions.

(We'll also probably need or want some more general overflow-checking
attributes anyways. I've had at least 3 people react in horror when I
told them that while divide-by-zero is trapped, integer-overflow _isn't_
trapped by default in my nice "safe language" :)

-Graydon