Hi everyone,

I'd like to give rusti more attention and make it actually useful and
usable.   As I'm sure we're all aware, a good REPL is especially
valuable for a new and not-yet-well-documented language.  Various open
bugs [0, 1, 2] illustrate some of the current problems with rusti, and
astrieanna recently volunteered to work on rusti, so I've been
thinking about what it needs.

To start with, there are no rusti tests [3].  This means that even
when it's working, it doesn't stay that way for long; for instance, as
strcat pointed out on IRC today, rusti is more broken now than it was
in the 0.6 release, due to the last LLVM version bump.  A `make
check-stage[N]-rusti` build target does exist (and since there are no
tests, it passes with flying colors, with 0 of 0 tests failing).
We'll work on ameliorating this situation.

Another problem seems to be social and circular: rusti doesn't work
very well, so people don't use it, so bugs don't surface as fast as
they would otherwise, so rusti doesn't work very well, so ... .  I
want to try to break that circularity by doing what we can to
encourage a culture of rusti use, once we've made the initial effort
to make it halfway tolerable.  So, this is mostly just a call to
action: please file rusti bugs, or comment on the existing bugs tagged
with 'A-rusti' (a tag I just created) if you can shed any light on the
issues therein.  Thanks!

Lindsey

[0]: https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/5675
[1]: https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/5774