Hi all,

I'm currently working on slides for a Rust tutorial, that I'm going to
be presenting at Open Source Bridge in Portland in two weeks. I wanted
the tutorial to be driven by examples from real code, but I've had a
hard time finding examples that are both relevant, and self-contained
enough to use in a talk. I specified that I expect the audience to
know how to program in some language and to be at least a little bit
familiar with C, so I'm assuming relatively little about their
knowledge. I'm certainly not assuming that they have already looked at
Rust.

I'd like to have an extended example to illustrate borrowed pointers,
and another (can be separate or related) to illustrate traits. I've
done a fair amount of looking through Servo; Patrick's sprocketnes and
fempeg projects; and the Rust standard libraries. The first three seem
to make relatively little use of traits (and many of the traits that
are there seem to be collections of methods rather than representing
concepts that could be described more abstractly). Of course, borrowed
pointers are everywhere, but it's hard for me to say what is a good,
self-contained example for them. In the current draft of my talk, I'm
using the Container and Map traits and the HashMap implementation from
the standard library to illustrate both traits and borrowed pointers.
I'm okay with keeping it that way, but I'd love to use a less
textbook-y example that shows off what Rust can do. I had hoped some
of the test cases under bench/ might be good for this, but many of
them are written in fairly old-style Rust.

Thanks in advance, and I'll certainly acknowledge in the talk anybody
who points me to a good example.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://catamorphism.org/ * Often in error, never in doubt
"Not a riot, it's a rebellion." -- Boots Riley