>> Without format strings as the primary way to do output, I think we'll
>> fall down really short on the ability to do internationalization.

I didn't suggest we remove fmt!, but that we make the default println!
not do formatted output by itself. My motivation is to make the tool
you reach for first solve 80% of the use cases and be as simple as
possible.

Support for i18n is a great thing, and I hope we provide it out of the
box, but it's a lot more complicated than printfln(). Do we want that
complexity in the basic print function? If so, what are the proposals
for managing that complexity?

As an addendum, I think debug! and friends should work similarly. I'll
also note that there's no debugln! and I haven't seen any complaints
about that. having debug! and debugf! seems reasonable if people
really feel strongly that they need formatted output in printf style.

jack.