Additionally,

Be able to convert "bya" to "mya" ?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bya

The short scale is now commonly used, btw... but also need to deal with
this for conversions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

There should be a preference boolean for conversion output for short or
long scale... especially concerning above a thousand million.

That's enough to get you going with some wild ideas that Jodatime does not
handle.