Thanks John, for the friendly email. :-)

> The choice of the Rust team to adopt a C++-like syntax was very deliberate,
> and I'm confident that the members of this team still believe that was the
> right choice.

I wonder, right for what reason? Do they actually *like* it? I wrote a lot of
code in C++ back in the day. Can't touch the stuff anymore. *shudders*

Or is it 'right' because it's familiar to C++ developers?

I should have mentioned Java in my original post to the list.

Java is relevant for a few reasons:

1. It has been around for a long time.
2. It's quite popular.
3. It's C-like, familiar, and attempts to implement some safety into the
language
4. Its syntax is fairly simple (compared to C++).

And most significantly of all:

5. It has gone through some significant syntactic changes, _years_ after being
well established and well known.

For example, Java 1.5 added Generics to the language (a simplified version of
C++ templates).

The recent Java has added anonymous functions (lambdas).

Other well established languages have also made significant changes to their
syntax well after their first birthday. Objective-C, for example, added
properties and Automatic Reference Counting in with it turned 2.0.

It also added syntax for various literals (arrays, maps, etc.):
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/ObjectiveCLiterals.html

So, given the history of these well established languages, I think there's
still plenty of opportunity for change with Rust. More so, in fact, due to its
alpha status. It's easier to remove syntax while a language is young, and Rust
is still very young.

> With that said, though, Rust is a new and exciting language; if you can think
> of improvements, try coding them up and see what you get! In my experience,
> the Rust developers are always happy to hear from volunteers who are excited
> about the language and have concrete pull requests. If you had the energy to
> build an alternate front-end using a parenthesized syntax, I'm sure there are
> others that would give it a try. Me, for instance!

I'd love to, but zero time at the moment. :-(

Also, I'm not simply advocating a parenthesis-based syntax (though that would
be *awesome*!). I think the present syntax is malleable and can be simplified
and improved while retaining its C-ness for the sake of developers who haven't
quite yet expanded their minds... :-p

Cheers,
Greg

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.