Mod hat: This thread has become pretty off-topic. Let's wind it down
and move any specific questions or concrete proposals regarding Rust
to a new, separate thread.

Please familiarize yourself with the "Conduct" section of
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Note-development-policy ,
particularly these parts:

"Respect that people have differences of opinion and that every design
or implementation choice carries a trade-off and numerous costs. There
is seldom a right answer.
Please keep unstructured critique to a minimum. If you have solid
ideas you want to experiment with, make a fork and see how it works."

In particular, discussing the merits or lack thereof of C or Java
syntax is out of scope for this mailing list. I understand that this
subject came up because it was cited as a reason for Rust's syntax,
but as several people have said, these decisions have been made and
won't be revisited (except, *perhaps*, in the presence of a concrete
proposal and preferably an implementation). Also, please avoid
suggesting that people who do or don't like a particular syntax
haven't expanded their mind; it's okay for different people to have
different opinions about language design, and choosing any one
approach doesn't mean we think less of people who prefer other ones.

Cheers,
Tim

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Greg <g...@kinostudios.com> wrote:
> Thanks John, for the friendly email. :-)
>
> The choice of the Rust team to adopt a C++-like syntax was very deliberate,
> and I'm confident that the members of this team still believe that was the
> right choice.
>

> I wonder, right for what reason? Do they actually *like* it? I wrote a lot
> of code in C++ back in the day. Can't touch the stuff anymore. *shudders*
>
> Or is it 'right' because it's familiar to C++ developers?
>
> I should have mentioned Java in my original post to the list.
>
> Java is relevant for a few reasons:
>
> 1. It has been around for a long time.
> 2. It's quite popular.
> 3. It's C-like, familiar, and attempts to implement some safety into the
> language
> 4. Its syntax is fairly simple (compared to C++).
>
> And most significantly of all:
>
> 5. It has gone through some significant syntactic changes, _years_ after
> being well established and well known.
>
> For example, Java 1.5 added Generics to the language (a simplified version
> of C++ templates).
>
> The recent Java has added anonymous functions (lambdas).
>
> Other well established languages have also made significant changes to their
> syntax well after their first birthday. Objective-C, for example, added
> properties and Automatic Reference Counting in with it turned 2.0.
>
> It also added syntax for various literals (arrays, maps, etc.):
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/ObjectiveCLiterals.html
>
> So, given the history of these well established languages, I think there's
> still plenty of opportunity for change with Rust. More so, in fact, due to
> its alpha status. It's easier to remove syntax while a language is young,
> and Rust is still very young.
>
> With that said, though, Rust is a new and exciting language; if you can
> think of improvements, try coding them up and see what you get! In my
> experience, the Rust developers are always happy to hear from volunteers who
> are excited about the language and have concrete pull requests. If you had
> the energy to build an alternate front-end using a parenthesized syntax, I'm
> sure there are others that would give it a try. Me, for instance!
>

> I'd love to, but zero time at the moment. :-(
>
> Also, I'm not simply advocating a parenthesis-based syntax (though that
> would be *awesome*!). I think the present syntax is malleable and can be
> simplified and improved while retaining its C-ness for the sake of
> developers who haven't quite yet expanded their minds... :-p
>
> Cheers,
> Greg
>
> --
> Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing
> with the NSA.
>
> On Nov 11, 2013, at 6:12 PM, John Clements <cleme...@brinckerhoff.org>
> wrote:
>

> On Nov 11, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Greg wrote:
>
> I don't think Rust can succeed as a language if it massively differs,
> [...]

Tim Chevalier * http://catamorphism.org/ * Often in error, never in doubt
"If you are silent about your pain, they'll kill you and say you enjoyed it."
-- Zora Neale Hurston