On 14/01/14 20:51, George Makrydakis wrote:

That would be a good start. But are you advocating that it should be third party tools thatcshould be given guidelines on how to comply? What would be their incentive to do so? Or should this be used as a basis for creating a prototype deploying duch information... which would inevitably ask again:

Should Rust have its own build tool, given your proposal of standardized representational information ? Dealing with such metadata forces you to design a new system.

I guess I'm saying that, no matter what solution you choose:

a) People will want their own version, either because they know and prefer something else, OR just because they run, say, debian, and it manages 26000 packages on their system, and they want Rust to be managed that way too.**

b) This kind of information will be needed

** For instance, Debian has tools to create debian packages from git repositories, PHP's pear packages, perl packages, google earth tarballs, etc.

Arch, BSD ports, and the like import packages using a thin wrapper around whatever package system upstream developers use. There's a will, in Linux, in Mac, with MacPorts, in cygwin, etc., and in mobile, to integrate package management into one system for all. We don't necessarily have to provide "build" tools for each platform, so integration tools for each IDE, syntax highlighting for each editor, or API documentation/tags for each IDE. At least, to start with, all we need to do is make it possible for people who want to do these things, to do them.

But, what I think is pretty important, is to establish the standard as early as possible, to allow people to build tools for as many Rust packages as possible. In many ways, speaking as a general developer rather than a rust developer, knowing that any rust package / repository will contain a .rust-info file, say, which tells me all the metadata I need to know to integrate that package into my website, buildtool, or whatever... that's much more valuable to me, than knowing that I can download some package, on any of 3 platforms, and it'll just just build. The tool is short term convenience, but the data lets me build short term tools AND long-term infrastructure.

--
Lee