Am 14.01.2014 23:11, schrieb Lee Braiden:
On 14/01/14 20:51, George Makrydakis wrote:

That would be a good start. But are you advocating that it should be third party tools thatcshould be given guidelines on how to comply? What would be their incentive to do so? Or should this be used as a basis for creating a prototype deploying duch information... which would inevitably ask again:

Should Rust have its own build tool, given your proposal of standardized representational information ? Dealing with such metadata forces you to design a new system.

I guess I'm saying that, no matter what solution you choose:

a) People will want their own version, either because they know and prefer something else, OR just because they run, say, debian, and it manages 26000 packages on their system, and they want Rust to be managed that way too.**

I don't understand what debian's package manager has to do with a build system?

There's no reason why

apt-get install librust-sdl2-dev

shouldn't work, no matter what rust-sdl2 uses for building itself. The package will just contain a rlib file and put it inside /usr/lib/rustlib/<target-triple>/.