Maybe I'm misunderstanding? This would require that all commits be specifically associated with an issue. I don't have actual stats, but briefly skimming recent commits and looking at the issue tracker, a lot of commits can't be reasonably associated with an issue. This requirement would either force people to create fake issues for each commit, or to reference tangentially-related or overly-broad issues in commit messages, neither of which is very useful.

Referencing any conversation that leads to or influences a commit is a good idea, but something this inflexible doesn't seem right.

My 1.5ยข.