I think having copy constructors is the only way to get rid of `.clone()`
all over the place when using` Rc`. That, to me, seems very important (in
making smart pointers first class citizens of Rust, without this, I would
rather go back to having @-pointers). The trouble is, I see incrementing a
ref count as the upper bound on the work that should be done in a copy
constructor and I see no way to enforce that.

So, I guess +1 to spirit of the OP, but no solid proposal for how to do it.