On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Daniel Micay <danielmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ARM and x86_64 aren't going anywhere and it's too late for trap on
> overflow to be part of the baseline instruction set. It's far from a
> sure thing that it would even be added.

Having watched the debacle that was Azul trying to get features added to
Intel CPUs, like hardware transactional memory or realtime zeroing into L1
cache, I strongly agree. We can't assume anything about the hardware
manufacturers will do, they just don't care about this stuff, and their
roadmaps for adding anything like this are terrible at best.

But here's a hypothetical situation: it's 202X and after much ado Intel,
ARM, AMD, and others have just rolled out some new CPU instructions and
fancy new ALU with fast overflow detection in hardware. Overflow detection
is fast now!

If that ever happened, what Rust provides as a baseline today would be
obsolete and broken. In the distant future. But still...

--
Tony Arcieri