On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Nat Pryce <nat.pr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to write tasks that wait for both I/O and channel
> communication. I've been told that, to maximise communication performance,
> channels do not support selecting of both channels and I/O objects.
>  Therefore a program should signal to a task that is waiting for I/O over
> another I/O object, such as a pipe, not by sending a message over a
> channel.  Fair enough.
>
> What API should I use to wait for multiple I/O objects within a task?  Is
> there a runtime-independent API for this?

Sounds like you might want something like a Java NIO Selector. These
Selectors bake in a pipe as a wakeup mechanism as well:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/channels/Selector.html

However, there is more than one way to do it ;) Earlier I sent this message
out about providing I/O "as a service" by having a dedicated task (or pool
of tasks) that performs I/O operations for you, sending completions back as
messages over the normal std::comm message protocol, ala Erlang's ioserver.
Perhaps it's relevant to bring up again?