Yes, I do want something like an nio Selector.

I'm trying to write it myself using epoll and eventfd on Linux. Binding to
the syscall is straightforward. However I can't work out how to get the fds
of IO objects (File struct, for example) so am stuck again.

The ioserver approach sounds promising as long as it can be easily extended
with new I/O mechanisms. One thing to keep in mind is that not all I/O can
be made non-blocking. Eg I2C and SPI communication on Linux is performed by
ioctls that block the calling thread and so would block an event loop that
relies on nonblocking IO.

--Nat

--
http://www.natpryce.com