On 2014-07-21 06:06, Patrick Walton wrote:
On 7/20/14 9:04 PM, Patrick Walton wrote:
On 7/20/14 8:12 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
Cool, thanks for the answer. These restrictions seem somewhat complex.

They are required. Otherwise we would end up with a C++-like situation
where copies end up happening too frequently.

Also note that these rules, far from being "complex", end up making the
language much simpler than C++, as copy (or D-like postblit)
constructors are not required. All Rust types, if they are copyable at
all, can be copied by simply moving bits around.

Fair enough. I just guess it takes a while getting used to, that you sometimes can't use a variable after you've sent it as a parameter to a function.

Also now having read the RFC for "Opt-in builtin traits" which you mentioned earlier, I think this RFC makes a lot of sense. Especially the "API Stability" and "Pedagogy" points would have been helpful here.

// David