On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Gregor Cramer <rema...@gmx.net> wrote:
> I don't care about the capabilities of other languages, I don't use a
> language if it is not appropriate.

Appropriate for what?  You seem to be claiming that stable code in
general needs this feature, so that's consigning all of the languages
listed to be inappropriate for virtually anything.  But they're not,
so their design decisions should be considered, although of course
they're not necessarily right.

> No. Everyone is talking about tons of problems, but which ones?
> The most problematic language, with tons of problems, is C++.
> But even in C++ not overloading is the problem - and I have about
> 20 years experience with C++ - it is for example, to name just one,
> the implicit casting, because this makes overloading a bit problematic.

A few months ago I posted in a similar thread why I don't like overloading:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2014-May/009982.html

Buy it or not, I don't think overloading is necessary, since most of
the time operations with room for such efficiency improvements should
be implemented either in traits or as ad-hoc methods.  That is, I'd
call this a bug in std::num::pow.

And of course it's possible to change something to a trait after the
fact without breaking API compatibility.