Steffen Nurpmeso <stef...@sdaoden.eu> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I Cc: the list, i hope this is ok?

Yes, it is ok.

> I just got it totally wrong, i apologise for that.
>
> u...@net9.ga wrote in
>  <e1kfkno-0004rv...@mx1.net9.ga>:
>  |The truncation is with s-nail 14.9.11-2 on debian buster.
>  |In my post I mentioned s-mailx becuase I was confusing s-nail with
>  |the list name.
>  |I think the cause of truncation are unicode characters that the poster \
>  |included in his message.
>
> Ah!  Now i understand -- you tried to read the message of the URL
> you posted, and _that_ was impossible?

Right. That message, which is archived at
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2020-September/048110.html ,
was truncated at the beginning of the line where the author
had a right arrow symbol. The line in the body of the message.
Rethinking, it could be the subject was shown without the right
arrow character. Just skipping that symbol, and otherwise fine.
But i am not sure.

> Apologies, this was a complete misunderstanding on my side then!!
> Sorry!
>
>  |At this time I can not test it on archlinux, which defenitly has
>  |a newer s-nail version. Do you think it will not happen with a
>  |newer version?
>
> On Debian you could upgrade to v14.9.19 from the "testing"
> repository, but i do not know how to accomplish that, i only used
> on release of Debian, that was 3.0 (Woody), a long time ago.

Unfortunately, in order to go from buster to bullseye (testing),
I will have to upgrade some of s-nail dependencies. Which will
probably requires upgrading more packages, for dependencies of
other packages on the machine. I don't want to go into that now.

> There are almost a thousand commits, and we do have unicode tests,
> and they succeed.  So i do not think it happens in a newer
> version.
>
> I see there is a Unicode character in this line, and i would
> really be interested in seeing the message as the ArchLinux list
> posted it, unfortunately the Mailman archive does not have the
> full message?  Would you send it to me?  It is possible the
> easiest if you `resend' it ("? resend MSG-NO stef...@sdaoden.eu").

Unfortunately, I deleted the messages that started this discussion.
But I think I am able to reproduce the problematic situation.
Which is easy. Just have a message with unicode character. For example,

    The next line should have a single right arrow, U+2192, &#8594;
    (Here comes the right arrow symbol)
    The previous line had a single right arrow, U+2192, &#8594;

I can arrange for such a message to be sent to, if you like.

No other comments on my part. I will consider upgrading to Debian
testing whenever I will have an opportunity.
Thank you.

u34.