Good morning,

(sorry for the spam, the stupid ProtonMail webmail did not pick the
correct recipient)

On Monday, 8 March 2021 18:15, Steffen Nurpmeso <stef...@sdaoden.eu> wrote:
> |First of all, I would like to apologize if a similar question was already
> |asked, but I was unable to find something that could help me.
>
> No problem.

:)

> |I'm using s-nail 14.9.22 from Voidlinux and I tried to display HTML emails
>
> Thanks to Leah who now maintain it so wonderful! Thanks, Leah!

Yes, that is true, thanks to Leah (I hope you notice our mails). I was happy
to see s-nail finally adopted and updated.

> |without success so far. In 'features', filter-html-tagsoup seems to be
> |supported.
> |
> | features=,+locales,+multibyte-charsets,[…],+filter-html-tagsoup,[…]
> |
> |The command 'mimetype' correctly displays html and according to the
> |manpage, it should be displayed by HTML tagsoup ('?h').
> |
> | mimetype ?h application/xhtml+xml xhtml xht
> | mimetype ?h text/html html htm
> |
> |In my .mailrc, no settings related to html were defined.
> |
> |Unfortunately, when I read a message, the HTML is simply not displayed.
> |I can see the MIME headers like so, without any content beyond those
> |lines :
> |
> | [-- #1.2 1497/60620 text/html, quoted-printable, utf-8 --]
> |
> |or
> |
> | [-- #1.1.2 253/19290 text/html, quoted-printable, utf-8 --]
>
> That looks if the HTML is part of a multipart/alternative MIME
> message. We always go for the text part then, but you could
>
> set mime-alternative-favour-rich
>
> to select the HTML version instead. This mechanism is pretty
> primitive in pre-v15, other MUAs allow reordering and listing
> priorities, but i use this setting myself since some
> correspondences simply have an empty text "alternative" which
> refers to the HTML one instead, so i have no choice. (And i am
> too lazy and/or the MUA is not (yet) sophisticated enough to
> filter for something and be selective about it.)

Yeah, same problem here. Some emails will show "Visit this URL
to read your email" in text/plain. That was the issue.
Ohh, perfect, thanks ! I wonder how I managed to miss this option
in the manpage, I feel quite ashamed to bother you. Right now, I
decided to use

set print-alternatives

as it allows me to display all subparts. But in the future, I may
define a define with mime-alternative-favour-rich + commandalias,
just to display HTML on a selected mail. Something like :

define showhtml {
  set mime-alternative-favour-rich
  type "$@"
  unset mime-alternative-favour-rich
}
commandalias html call showhtml

> |If I try the 'mimeview' command, same behavior applies.
>
> This is for MIME parts such, attachments that is mostly. The
> above seem to be "sub"parts of an alternative selection.
>
> |During my interactive tests, I decided to force display 'text/html' as
> |plain text with the following command. It has no effect :
> |
> | set pipe-text/html=?t
> |
> |The trick was to use 'set pipe-text/html=?', without the 't'. Could it
> |be possible that the '?h' we saw earlier from mime types, is not
> |understood ?
>
> t is optional, ? and ?t should be the same thing. Hmm, we do test
> these act equally. Hm. And yes, the order of MIME types matters.
> These ?xy type-markers are the last possible source of
> information. (This is documented in the manual section "HTML mail
> and MIME attachments".)

Yes, I was a bit vague. I did not understand why '?' worked and not '?t'
as they are the same. After what you told me earlier, I finally figured
it out.

> |On Ubuntu 20.04, s-nail is a bit more "old" but it suffers from the same
> |symptoms.
> |
> |Going back to s-nail (as I was already doing in 2014) after using a
> |webmail for my personal address felt like a breeze. I'm looking forward
> |to solve that mystery. Once again I am requesting your kind help as I
> |did many times in the past, with different emails.
> |I also take this opportunity to thank you for your hard work and all
> |these years of maintaining s-nail. We are attached to it.
>
> Well, thank you. So much to do still, but i really would like to
> see it furtherly improved for sure. I am just too slow ...
> Thanks.

I think many things were already improved a lot, I saw it when I had to
update my config after s-nail was updated in Void. That's not that slow :)

Ciao from a cold location.
N.