I have an OptiSIGHT magnifier that I like very much. It is made by Donegan. The price is quite reasonable, $30 or less. It comes with three lenses. I use the strongest (#5). They also sell a separate #7, but I haven't felt the need for anything stronger than the #5. The front of the headband is padded with a thin foam. It is light weight and quite comfortable. I can wear it for long periods without discomfort. And, it is made in the good ole USA. How cool is that!! http://www.doneganoptical.com/optisight.php It has been available in my local hobby shop, and is also available from Amazon. [A web search for OptiSight will also return something called "Opti-Sight" that is apparently a device for aiming a gun--not what I am talking about.]
The OptiSight is the third magnifier I have owned. The first was a cheap visor type. It worked but had some annoying traits. I realized I didn't like the visor type because I liked to look over the top of the magnifier when my wife spoke to me or when something worth watching came on TV. With that type you have to take it off to see something else. I gave it away to a fellow on a more limited budget. The second was similar to the OptiSIGHT, but of lower quality construction. I still have it, but it isn't my favorite. I love these headband mounted magnifiers because I can do so much more accurate modeling when I can see what I am doing. Who would have thought. ;-) FWIW Lance McCold Knoxville, TN --- In [email protected], Carey Probst <s-sc...@...> wrote: > > I have a Magni-Focuser which I have been very happy with. > > It can be ordered with different strength lenses and I believe that 1 or > 2 models have interchangeable lenses and at least one model comes with a > built in light. > > The best part is the headband is not Velcro but all plastic and with a > screw type adjustment so it will never wear out, at least not in what is > left of my lifetime. It is lined with foam rubber for comfort. > > I've had mine for over 20 years and just this year had to replace the > foam rubber. I found that 1/2" weatherstripping was perfect > > Carey Probst > > Member, M.I.T. Educational Council > > S Scale, Sn3 and S High Rail/AF > > A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, > > the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. > > > On 12/22/2010 10:00 PM, vito4cal wrote: > > > > Greetings: > > > > I am looking for a recommendation for a good magnifier (the kind you > > where on your head)and where to purchase the same. I had a cheapo one > > and all the dang Velcro wore off and the thing kept falling my head. > > Tonight it bite the dust when it fell and I stepped on it. OK, I admit > > I got ticked off and stomped the crap out of it. > > > > I am off to my therapist and look forward to reading your replies when > > I get back. > > > > Signed frustrated aka John Gibson > > Rocklin, CA > > > > > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S-Scale/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S-Scale/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: [email protected] [email protected] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [email protected] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
