Thanks to all of you that welcomed me aboard, both on and off line. I'm really looking forward to getting back into AF!
Jeff > Hello, > > I thought I would spend a few minutes in order to introduce myself. > I signed up for this board a week or two ago and have just been > lurking so far. I'm quickly finding this is one active list! > > I was first introduced to American Flyer in the early 1970s with my > Dad's set. We used to set it up every year under the Christmas tree > or on the floor in the basement. Between this and my Grandpa's > stories of the steam era, this is what got me hooked on railroads, an > interest which has only grown over the years. > > Still in my youth at one point I "wanted a diesel (locomotive)" so my > parents bought me an HO Scale set for Christmas about 1974. The HO > layout was up year round while the Flyer continued to be set up only > at Christmas time, for the most part. > > When I left home for college, the HO layout came down for good and > despite joining the model railroad club at Penn State, I chose to > largely focus on the prototype (in terms of operations and history). > > The prototype is still my prime interest (in fact, I'm working on a > book on the New York Central's Beech Creek District, hence my e- mail > addy) but I'm getting the Flyer bug again. Maybe it is a wave of > nostalgia or some sort of calling to come back to the roots of my > railroad interest. Anyhow, I hope to get my Dad's old set up and > running again, as a more permanent pike. I know I'm going to have a > wealth of work--for example the locomotive (the 290) and handcar > haven't run since Christmas 1994 (and there was a several years' long > dry spell before that). The accessories, which I did not play with > as a youth, probably haven't been used since my Dad operated them in > the early 1950s. In general, this equipment is going to need a major > cleaning and oiling, for starters. > > Based on what I've read on this list so far it seems there are a ton > of experts here so please bear with me if I ask some very basic > questions in the coming days. > > Best regards, > Jeff Feldmeier > Allen Park, MI S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too! To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
