When my Erie PA1 broke down, the problem 
turned out to be the electronic reverse 
unit, which went bad. If you have a DC 
power supply, you can check to see if 
the motors (which are DC) are OK by 
attaching wires to the contacts on the 
motors. If they are OK then it's probably 
the reverse unit.

This goes off on a tangent, but I bought 
Lionel/AF trains to operate rather than 
collect, and haven't hesitated to modify them. 
After experiencing lots of frustration 
when I was young, with locomotives hitting 
a dead spot and changing directions (even 
more troublesome when running multiple 
powered diesels), I prefer DC to AC. 
 
I removed the Erie PA's reverse unit, and 
rewired the engine so it ran on DC. It ran
fine, so I converted my MP and UP PA1's the 
same way, then bought two pairs of can motor 
power trucks for my earlier B&O and SP PA's, 
which broke down relatively soon after I 
bought them and had not run for years, 
and converted them, too. Finally I repowered
a Gilbert PA, for which I had no good parts
to repair it. I did these conversions several 
years ago, and they run fine. Other people
have said that they don't like the Lionel can 
motors, but I haven't had any trouble with 
them.

My original condition AF locomotives are all AC 
(unless they were made DC), but I have 
converted most of my kitbashed and repainted 
locomotives to DC without any regrets. I converted
all my S Helper Service and American Models diesels
to straight DC, too.

I have DPDT switches to switch between AC and DC,
and Rix handheld throttles to control the DC. 
AC is handled by 18B and 30B transformers, which
also supply the power to bridge rectifiers for 
conversion to DC. 

Mike Vana  Omaha, NE.

S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to