When I was growing up in S.E. Nebraska (Tecumseh) in the early 1950s, my
mother would take my grandparents & I to Lincoln about once a month for
shopping.  We would always park as close to Gold's Department Store as we
could.  This was always our focal point when we were done shopping.  Of
course I would immediately go into Gold's up go up the esculator to around
the 3rd floor, I believe, where there was always a fantastic display of
American Flyer trains & accessories.  It was my dream to own a set some
day.  In 1953 I took a job delivering newspapers, and as soon as I had
enough money it was off to Gold's again.  There I purchased my first set
which was a #302 link coupler set (Black Diamond).  Boy was I proud to
finally have an American Flyer realistic set.  That same year my parents
bought our first B & W Zenith T.V.  One of the first things I saw was the
Inauguration of Dwight D. Eisenhower.  It was an exciting time living
through the 1950s, especially since I had that first train.  Looking back
I am curious if Gold's built those fabulous lay-outs or whether A.F. sent
out people to build it each Christmas season.  As far as I know, Gold's
was the only store which sold Flyer in Lincoln!

Mike Leahy (Boulder, CO.)




S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to