On Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:01:12 PM UTC+2, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> PA Nilsson <p...@zid.nu <javascript:>> writes:

> >> This should only happen if the file system was not unmounted cleanly
> >> *and* you lost the local metadata. Otherwise it's a bug.
> >>
> >> If you lost the local metadata, I really don't think you want to force
> >> fsck to continue. Are you sure that's what you want?
> >
> > The system lost power, so the file system was not unmounted.
> > How do I know if I have lost the local metadata?
>
> The fsck.s3ql message should say something about that. What message are
> you getting when it "fails and exits"?

Finally had time to reproduce this.
The system was powercycled in the middle of running a backup with the FS
mounted.
Running fsck

fsck.s3ql --ssl-ca-path ${capath} --cachedir ${s3ql_cachedir} --log
$log_file --authfile ${auth_file}  $storage_url

"
Starting fsck of xxxxxxxxx
Ignoring locally cached metadata (outdated).
Backend reports that file system is still mounted elsewhere. Either
the file system has not been unmounted cleanly or the data has not yet
propagated through the backend. In the later case, waiting for a while
should fix the problem, in the former case you should try to run fsck
on the computer where the file system has been mounted most recently.
Enter "continue" to use the outdated data anyway:
"

In this case, it is true that the file system was not cleanly unmounted,
but what are my options here?

/PA