PA Nilsson <p...@zid.nu> writes:
>> > fsck.s3ql --ssl-ca-path ${capath} --cachedir ${s3ql_cachedir} --log
>> > $log_file --authfile ${auth_file}  $storage_url
>> >
>> > "
>> > Starting fsck of xxxxxxxxx
>> > Ignoring locally cached metadata (outdated).
>> > Backend reports that file system is still mounted elsewhere. Either
>> > the file system has not been unmounted cleanly or the data has not yet
>> > propagated through the backend. In the later case, waiting for a while
>> > should fix the problem, in the former case you should try to run fsck
>> > on the computer where the file system has been mounted most recently.
>> > Enter "continue" to use the outdated data anyway:
>> > "
>> >
>> > In this case, it is true that the file system was not cleanly unmounted,
>> > but what are my options here?
>>
>> You should find out why you are loosing your local metadata copy.
>>
>> Is your $s3ql_cachedir on a journaling file system? What happened to
>> this file system on the power cycle? Did it loose data?
>>
>> What are the contents of $s3ql_cachedir when you run fsck.s3ql?
>>
>> Are you running fsck.s3ql with the same $s3ql_cachedir as mount.s3ql?
>> Are you *absolutely* sure about that?
>>

> I can only trigger this when the system is powered off during an actual
> transfer of data. If I let the data transfer finish and then power cycle
> with the fs mounted, the FS recovers when running fsck.
>
> The system is running on an ext4 filesystem. The filesystem does not seem
> to have lost any data.
> The cachedir is read from the same config file and works otherwise, to yes,
> I am sure about that.
> Contents of cachdir when failing is:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 Jun 16 13:06 mount.s3ql_crit.log
> -rw------- 1 root root 77824 Jun 17 07:21
> s3c:=2F=2Fstorage.openproducts.com=2F3feae012-2dfc-4aee-972a-532f15e99009.db
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   217 Jun 17 07:21
> s3c:=2F=2Fstorage.openproducts.com=2F3feae012-2dfc-4aee-972a-532f15e99009.params

There is something very wrong here. While mount.s3ql is running, there
will always be a directory ending in -cache in the cache directory. This
directory is only removed after mount.s3ql exits, so if you reboot the
computer, it *must* still be there.

Can you confirm that the directory exists while mount.s3ql is running?

What happens if, instead of rebooting, you just kill -9 the mount.s3ql
process? Does the -cache directory exist? Does fsck.s3ql work in that case?

Best,
-Nikolaus