On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Paul-Olivier Dehaye
<pauloliv...@gmail.com>wrote:

> consider also the code in
> sage: Permutation([6,2,3,1,7,5,4]).robinson_schensted()
> which performs insertions (and more). Mike Hansen added it, it bisects
> per row, and is thus be much faster for large partitions.
>
> in any case there should really be a function called T.bump()!
>
> paul

There's a generalization by Knuth (check  "Robinson-Schensted-Knuth
algorithm" ) that uses insertion for non-permutations and bijectively maps

arbitrary matrices  <-->  two-row arrays <--> pairs of semistandard tableau

it's been a great down for me that only the case "permutation (matrices)
<--> permutations  <--> standard tableau" is handled by sage

But my coding skills aren't up to the task of implementing it and submitting
it

RSK algorithm is really important in representation theory (for instance, it
can be used to show schur functions are actually symmetric). There's a whole
chapter on Fulton's book devoted to it.