On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 9:26 PM, bump <b...@match.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 3:52 pm, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > consider also the code in
> There should actually be two versions of this. This version (as Anne
> said)
> relates nxn matrices with nonnegative integer values to pairs of
> tableaux with
> the same shape. There should also be a bijection between nxn matrices
> with
> values 0 and 1 to pairs of tableaux with conjugate shapes.

Yes, the so called dual RSK, although it's trickier to implement

Since row_insertion, bump, schensted insert and friends return the new
table, the "as is" version of RSK says
"insert bottonw row of the array to get P, take Q as the register table
filled with the upper row"

The symmetry theorem however allows you to construct Q using insertion:
if you start with the matrix A, you transpose it, new two-row array will
have rows switched and reordered (so it's still lexicographically ordered).

However, on 0-1 matrices you use column bump with bottom row  for P and
conjugate sliding for Q with top row.
And then things get hairy (snce you need to track which square was added to
P on each step in order to slide it).

Symmetry theorem won't help as is, since starting with A^t  won't give you
(Q,P) but some other pair related to dual Burge's correspondence.

Q tableau can however be described using insertions  (after all Burge's
correspondence is also insertion) but you need to do some shuffling around.

> > it's been a great down for me that only the case "permutation (matrices)
> > <--> permutations  <--> standard tableau" is handled by sage
> >
> > But my coding skills aren't up to the task of implementing it and
> submitting
> > it
>
> This sounds like a good way to acquire some coding skills! If there's
> implementation
> or programming issues I think it would be appropriate to discuss them
> here, if you want to
> try it.
>
> Dan

Actually I have coded such insertions for my own study, it's the
"integrating to sage" part which frightens me a bit (I never understood how
to "redefine" a bultin function to make a trivial change , see
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8322  so I just passed it along ;)