On Jun 23, 12:39 pm, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 12:06 pm, Florent Hivert <florent.hiv...@univ-rouen.fr>

> > > This choice was based on some discussions over the past few months in
> > > sage-algebra and sage-combinat-devel.  I tried changing this to
> > > Family(NN, self._basis_fcn) and got some weird doctest errors about
> > > pickling, causing the TestSuite to fail.  So while what you say makes
> > > sense, it causes problems for me.
>
> > I'm quite interested to see that. If it's a problem with
> > DisjointUnionEnumeratedSets, I really like to know about it and volunteering
> > to fix it. Can you send an example of the problem (but maybe you already did
> > and I don't remember).
>
> If you apply the patch that I mentioned at the start of the thread and
> then delete the use of DisjointUnionEnumeratedSets, that is, replace
>
>   DisjointUnionEnumeratedSets(Family(NN, self._basis_fcn)),
>
> with
>
>   Family(NN, self._basis_fcn),
>
> in the __init__ method, then you get doctest failures.  I haven't
> tried to track it down.

I think the problem is that "self._basis_fcn" is an anonymous
function:

self._basis_fcn = lambda d: basis_function(d, degrees)

So there are issues with pickling it, and this seems to cause problems
with Family, or CombinatorialFreeModule, or some combination of the
two.  Putting it inside DisjointUnionEnumeratedSets(...) prevents this
problem from arising.

--
John