Nicolas wrote:

> The best fix would be to have, as has been planned some time ago,
> WeylCharacterRing use categories (and by the way
> CombinatorialFreeModule), and this would be automatically handled by
> the coercion system.
> Dan: do you have any chance for handling this?

I now have a complete patch for this:

http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/trac_7922.patch

If running the old code all WeylCharacterRings are created with
cache=true then
the old code is faster.

If the old code is run omitting cache=true (which is not the default)
then the
new code is faster.

On one batch of tests, the old code (cache=true) can do the tests in
18.5 seconds where
the new code needs 25 seconds. This is enough of a slowdown that I
hesitate to upload
the patch to trac unless I can figure out how to recover the lost
speed.

Dan