>  - For #7922: understanding why in your example the hash function gets
>    called sooo often. For this, we should look at a smallest possible
>    example where hash is obviously called too often.

I have discovered that making _weight_multiplicities a cached method
seems to fix the timing problem. In fact, after such a change, the
patch seems acceptably fast.

On the other hand, some testing didn't show any advantage to caching
product_on_basis.

I still have to consider Nicolas' reviewer patch, so I'm not posting
a revised patch yet.

Dan