Is anyone else chiming in here planning to be in Galway next week for
the De Brun workshop? I'm giving a talk related to doing such
computations on more modern hardware and architectures. (I've been
playing with a randomized parallel partition backtrack with C and
mpi/openmp/cuda.) There was also some discussion recently among a few
of us working in this area about getting our own workshop together.
I'm all for that, but haven't had much time recently to chime in.

> Just one question: do we have the manpower, within the Sage community,
> to maintain this code in the long run?

While manpower is an issue, I don't think it is the main issue. I
think there are currently an appropriate number (perhaps a small
number) of those that know the theory and know an acceptable language
(C, Python, Cython, etc.). The main problem, as I see it, is that the
majority of code, as it has existed over roughly 20 years, is nearly
inaccessible. This is true especially of backtrack code.

The only real exception I see to accessibility of the theory is in the
partition backtrack algorithms themselves. Those simply need to be
written in a language that is appropriate for consumption. As far as I
know, nobody has really done this. Has anyone done this? I don't think
it would be hard. (E.g., for my purposes I use a language much more
like I.G. Macdonald's text... although this blurs the difference
between partitions and set compositions.)

Jason

--
Jason B. Hill
http://math.jasonbhill.com  |  jason.b.h...@colorado.edu