On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:25:28AM -0800, Travis Scrimshaw wrote:
> John,
>    I tried using it and I got the following error:
>
> Error: convert (from the ImageMagick suite) does not
> appear to be installed. Displaying PDFLaTeX output
> requires this program, so please install and try again.
>
> Go to http://www.imagemagick.org to download it.
> Latex error
>
>    This is likely because the pdf output from sage depends upon the
> tikz package. Additionally the tikzpicture environment requires the
> tikz package so I doubt the pdf would be compiled despite the above
> error.

I guess that this error is raised by sage.misc.latex._run_latex_.
This function requires ``convert`` to convert the produced pdf into a
png. Did you try installing imagemagick in the virtual machine? It
should be something like:

        sudo apt-get install imagemagick

> The first issue should be easy enough to resolve and just make sure
> the base image for the Sage notebook download has the packages
> already installed.

Yes, the issue is more social than technical: it is about convincing
the virtual machine release manager that the extra kilobytes are worth
it. So this probably needs a discussion on sage-devel. The inclusion
(or not) of imagemagick is also to be discussed.

> For the second issue, do you know how the notebook communicates with
> the Sage in the VM and vice versa, or at least have some idea on
> where I could find the code? Also, could you tell me how Sage
> currently produces images/latex output to the notebook?

As you suspect, the Sage server is a typical web server, with AJAX and
the like for smooth interaction. But I am very unfamiliar with this
area, so please lookup the sources and/or ask on sage-devel.
For the notebook code, see <SAGEROOT>/devel/sagenb-main.

> I like your idea on sending the PDF directly the web browser, and I'm
> thinking we should have it as an option in the view() command since it
> is overkill in most cases and I don't know what kind of difficulties
> with pop-up blockers we might encounter.

+1

> Also, to me this is somewhat of a hack solution unless we could
> somehow embed a pdf viewer in the notebook

I'd bet that some navigators allow for embedding a pdf viewer in the
middle of an html page; however I have no idea if this is
standardized. Anyway, for any complex picture, a separate window is as
good, if not better (I usually want to view the picture in
fullscreen).

> Anyways, I'll start a discussion on the sage-devel/trac and take a
> look at possibly cleaning up the patch.

Excellent. Thanks!

Happy new year,