On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:55:11AM +0000, Sagan, Bruce wrote:
> Formidable!  This installed dot2tex.  Thanks so much!!  One last question.
> When I went back to the notebook and ran a view command (I just copied the
> first example of using this command from the section Crystals of Tableaux in
> Sage of the Classic Crystals thematic tutorial) I got as output the tex
> commands for the tikz picture of the crystal.  Is there a way to get the
> picture itself printed in the notebook without having to create a latex file?
>  Maybe I have to install another package?

Alas, the notebook (or more precisely the component jsmath/mathjax
which is the same used on e.g. mathscinet) isn't yet able to display
all latex construct, and in particular tikz pictures.

Instead, you can view it in an external pdf viewer:

        sage: view(B, pdflatex=True, tightpage=True)

With this command, Sage produces the latex for the object B, creates a
latex file, compiles it, and opens it in a viewer.  However, I am not
sure if opening an external viewer actually works when running inside
a virtual machine. Anyone experience with that?

Best,